Social security disability (SSD) insurance is a program that is funded entirely through payroll taxes that are deducted from employees’ wages. These benefits are intended to be used by people who are unable to work for a minimum period of 12 months due to a disability. If you’re suffering from a disability that makes it impossible for you to work, you deserve to receive the SSD benefits that you have paid for throughout your working life.
Your consultation is free. There are no fees to pay until we recover benefits for you. Call our law offices at 1-888-SSI-PAID (1-888-774-7243) or contact us and we will get in touch with you immediately. We know the specifics of fighting for your rights in the Florida court system – contact us now.
Hollywood, FL Social Security Information
The problem with applying for SSD benefits is that the process is complicated and confusing. You may be eligible for disability benefits, but eligibility will not help you if you’re not able to understand the application process. There are several factors that are taken into consideration when the Social Security Administration (SSA) is deciding whether to approve your application. Work history, age and the nature of your disability will all be considered. You must provide thorough medical records completed by a licensed medical professional, and it is still possible to be denied benefits when you properly fill out an application. The complexity of the application process makes it necessary to hire an experienced Hollywood attorney.
What Is SSD/SSI?
Social security disability (SSD) benefits and supplemental security income (SSI) are often confused, but these benefits are very different.
- SSD benefits are paid to people who have worked in the past. People who apply for these benefits must suffer from a disability that will keep them from working for a minimum of one year.
- SSI benefits are intended for a very specific set of applicants. People over the age of 65 who are part of a low-income household may be eligible. Some adults and children who are disabled are also eligible for SSI benefits, but all applicants must meet low income standards.
Criteria For Disability
Understanding the strict set of requirements associated with SSD benefits can help you determine whether you are eligible.
- You must have worked in the past. The exact amount of work that you must have done in the past depends upon your current age and your age at the date of disability.
- Your disability must be severe enough to make it impossible for you to work in any position for which you are qualified. This means that the SSA will look at your work experience to determine whether you could find a job in a field other than your current position in order to earn an income despite your disability.
- Your monthly income must fall below a certain threshold. This amount is set at $1,070 for 2014. If you are a blind applicant, you may earn up to $1,800 per month and still qualify for SSD benefits.
Supporting Your Family by Disability Lawyers in Hollywood
You may be worried about how your family will be able to survive on your SSD benefits if you were the primary income earner prior to becoming disabled. The good news is that your dependents are taken into consideration when the SSA is calculating how much you will receive each month. However, you should consult with an attorney to ensure that you are able to prove that certain family members depend on you to pay for basic necessities.
Getting Help From SSD Layer Hollywood
The complicated SSD application process can make you feel frustrated and alone. It’s important to realize that you’re not alone when you’re trying to get the money that you need and deserve. Contact a Hollywood, FL social security disability attorney to have someone on your side when you’re applying for the benefits you need to provide for your family.