Disability Benefits for Depression and Mental disorders
Depression has become more common in trouble than ever. People can get depressed due to losing someone close in the family, losing a job, a close friend, or any other reason. But do you know about “clinical depression”? In clinical depression, the person becomes depressed without any known cause. The level of chemicals inside our brain that are responsible for controlling mood becomes imbalanced or out of control resulting in depression. In clinical depression, you feel bad or sad, even if your life is going pretty well. People suffering from clinical depression tend to suffer more.
Here are some facts we should know about depression;
- Depression can leave any person disabled.
- Depression is one of the significant contributors to disability across the globe.
- An estimate says that almost 300 million people get affected by depression in this globe.
- Depression and mood fluctuation are entirely different.
- Depression is more than just a usual prolonged sadness.
- Children can also get depressed.
- Depression is a real illness.
- It is a treatable illness.
Depression can be real trouble, and situations for an unattended depressed person can turn fatal. Social security offices follow a strict procedure in issuing benefits for depression. To seek such benefits, you should have the proof to show your disability to earn due to depression.
The Law Offices of Chermol & Fishman can help you with depression and mental disability claims. We have helped a substantial ratio of people in getting the best benefits for their depression.
Let’s know some more details about depression, mental disabilities, and social security benefits.
Is Depression A Disability for Social Security?
Yes, of course, it is! There is no doubt that depression can turn you disabled, and you can get social security benefits for it. In Social Security disability applications, depression is the second most common medical condition listed. A depressed person feels sad, hopeless, and inadequate. He/she feels tired with decreased energy levels all the time. They lose interest in doing almost everything, including interacting with friends, performing at professional upfront, etc. They feel a lack of motivation and attention to live. Hence, they can become incapable of performing their core work at home as well as at the office.
Forms/Types of Depression include Major depression disorder, Dysthymia, and Manic depression/ Bipolar disorder.
Let’s know some more details about these 3 types of depression.
1. Major Depressive Disorder- Its symptoms include a feeling of worthlessness, guilt feeling, sleep deprivation, appetite changes, reduced concentration level, suicidal tendency, constant sadness, fatigue, and other related symptoms every day.
2. Dysthymia- It is nothing but a mood disorder. Its symptoms are similar to Major Depressive Disorder but are generally less severe.
3. Manic Depression- You can see periods of mania and depression in this type of depression. These Manic episodes can result in deprived self-esteem, extreme talkativeness, lack of sleep, irritability, racing thoughts, etc. You can also spot their increased participation in risky things like drugs, sex, and alcohol intake. Prolonged manic depression can result in psychotic episodes, hallucinations, and delusions. Many people may have to get hospitalized.
As you can see, depression can result in terrible circumstances. So you can definitely go to social security if you seek benefits for depression or related ailments. But, to qualify for these benefits, the applicant should meet the criteria listed in the manual of the Social Security Office.
How to Get Disability for Depression?
Well, social security benefits for depression is possible if you can show the proof of serious illness due to depression published by social security offices. The listing of the social security office has a list of symptoms as well as functional issues. The applicant must have to be eligible for disability for depression. Depression can result due to a wide array of reasons. These reasons may be known to a few people, while some may suffer without a known cause. Well, we have been discussing eligibility to get depression-related disability benefits if you can show the proper record of your disability and the troubles it is causing you. Here, we are about to tell you what symptoms can make you eligible for these benefits. So, to qualify for either SSD benefits for depression related ailments, you must show at least five of the below-mentioned symptoms.
- Decreased/ least interest in performing daily activities at home as well as office
- depressed mood 24/7
- Poor appetite or tendency to overeat, resulting in tremendous weight loss or weight gain.
- Insomnia or oversleeping- This condition is also known as sleep disturbance.
- Concentration or thinking issues.
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- suicidal tendencies
- deteriorating physical movement.
- Decreasing speech capability, increased physical agitation like hand pacing or wringing.
But for Disability for Depression, apart from the above-mentioned symptoms, you should also meet some functional criteria to prove your inability to earn a living.
When Can You Get Disability for Depression?
As we mentioned in the above section, if you are suffering from at least five symptoms shown in the list, then you can get benefits for depression. But there are chances that Social Security Office finds that your symptoms are not enough to approve your disability benefits. In such cases, the security office will try to determine if you get approval through granting a “medical-vocational allowance.” For “medical-vocational allowance,” Social Security Office near you will consider to which extent your depression symptoms are affecting your ability to perform some core functions like;
- following simple instructions
- Take basic work-related decisions
- Ability to respond
So, for disability approval in case of depression and mental illness, the applicant should proof at least two limitations in some specific regions shown below-
- The inability to understand, remember, learn, judge, make a decision, and applying the right information
- Lack of ability to interact with others
- Lack of personal capability of managing a few basic essentials like cooking, dressing, paying bills, shopping, maintaining hygiene, etc.)
- Concentration level below normal
But if you are listing any other impairment along with depression, then social security will follow a different way to determine your disability benefits. Listing of physical impairment or any other mental impairment affects the chance of receiving social security benefits.
Depression and Mental Disability Claims
None of the depressed people realize that they need some assistance to become like rational human beings. People with depression try to hide it from their families, their employers, their doctors, and themselves. They don’t want to be seen as complainers or people who can’t do things that most people can.
If the depression becomes disabling, things can go worse. Moreover, friends, family members, co-workers, and employers may not be aware of the depth of the problem. Each one of us should observe people around us, and if we see a person showing any of the above symptoms, then we should talk to them or take them to concerned people.
Getting Disability Due to Depression
If you have no record of medical treatment, your chances of obtaining disability benefits are very slim. This can make a difficult situation even worse. The reason why social security seeks all documents to prove your disability; They intend to ensure that disability benefits only go to those people who genuinely deserve it.
If you wish to apply for disability for depression or any other mental disability issues, the attorneys at the law office of Chermol & Fishman can be the best help. We encourage our clients to seek medical diagnosis and treatment for their depression.
Hope for Those with Severe Depression
We recognize that it can be challenging to talk to others — even medical professionals. Our attorneys know how to deal with disability for depression cases. Let us tell you that depression is treatable. Taking regular treatment for depression can be very helpful in several ways. It even increases your chance of social security approval.
Appealing a Social Security for Depression Denial
If you have already applied for disability benefits due to depression before and face a denial, you can re-appeal.
It happens many times that even if your case is active, you face denial. It can occur if you have not applied for the same property, or there can be a minute error in representing documents to show your depression-related disability. In such a case, it is always better to contact an experienced disability lawyer. The applicants who have skilled disability attorneys by their side to represent them, get the approval faster than others.
Get Best Legal Help Regarding Disability Approval For Depression!
The Law Offices of Chermol & Fishman is one of the most reputed law firms that can help you in getting the right compensation you deserve for depression and mental disorder related sufferings. Social Security publishes a few common names of serious illnesses that can qualify you for disability benefits. Our attorneys are well-versed with all necessary and updated information regarding depression and mental disorder claims. To consult a skilled yet experienced attorney, contact The Law Firm of Chermol & Fishman at the earliest. We have been representing people suffering from depression and other kinds of mental disabilities for years. Our attorneys know every single norm mentioned in journals of social security about disability approval for such cases. Hence, you are sure to get the best legal help here.