Social Security Disability Benefit- A Detailed Guide
SSD Benefits offered by the Social Security Administration or SSA is a commonly known process for the disabled in the USA. With an increasing number of Disability cases every year, the process has been complexed for common people to understand. While most of us are aware of the benefits, but only a few know the process of application.
Here we will know about Social Security Disability Benefits, eligibility, the process of application and a lot more. Read to know the retailed course of action that will lead you to win your disability claim.
Each citizen of the USA is mandated to pay income tax against each paycheck they draw. A part of the tax paid is governed by the Federal government-run Social Security Administration or SSA. SSA provides disability benefits to thousands of citizens who are recognized as disabled by the SSA.
Various parameters are practiced by the SSA to determine whether a person is eligible to receive a disability benefit. However, SSA makes SSD Benefits. Available under the two different programs. Social Security Disability Insurance or SSDI, and Supplemental Security Income or SSI.
Who Is Determined As Disabled by SSA?
The SSA receives millions of applications each year, but only 36% is granted disability benefit. Though a person finds himself disabled, there are strict regulations followed by SSA to grant Disability benefits.
As per SSA, a person is disabled when he is unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity of SGA. The reason can be failing medical conditions that have left a person physically or mentally impaired. He may not be able to continue with his job to meet his daily expenditure.
A disability should last for at least12 months. It can result in health conditions which may lead to serious consequences such as death.
Disability in Children
- A child under 18 years of age can fall under the child disability program. A child is determined as disabled when he or she faces physical or mental inabilities or a combination of both.
- The disability should be such severe that it sets limitations to the daily activity of the child. The disability should continue no less than 12 months and or could be severe to lead to significant death.
Required Information for Applying for Disability Benefit
Before you apply for Social Security Disability Benefits, there are a few detailed information which you must know. The information is categorized as personal information and family information respectively.
Information about the applicant
- Social security number and proof of age of the applicant
- Contact details such as name, phone number, address, of the doctor, hospital. Details of other medical practitioners who have assisted you during your treatment.
- Detailed medication record along with their dosage
- Detailed medical record form doctors, therapists, hospitals and clinics related to your disability
Medical test results like a blood test, urine test, x-ray, CT scan, etc.
- A detailed report of your employer and your role as an employee in the organization.
- A copy of the latest W-2 form for those who are employed. And for the self-employed, a copy of the Federal Tax payment is a must
Information About the Deceased Family
- Social Security Number of family members of the diseases who might be eligible for disability benefit.
- Proof of marriage in case the applicant is married. Proof of previous marriage is necessary when applicable
- All the documents you need to furnish to the SSA should be original for the SSA officials to validate.
How to Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits?
- There are three ways in which you can apply for SSD Benefits. Such as:
Apply online at https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/dib
- Apply by calling SSA at their toll-free number 1-800-772-1213. If you have hearing imparities, then call SSA at TTY 1-800-325-0778.
- To apply in person, visit your nearest SSA office. Make sure to book an appointment over the phone before you visit.
Documents Required to SSD Benefits Application
Along with your personal and family information you would require furnishing these documents while applying for Disability Benefits.
- Medical records- Pay attention to medical records and your case is mainly based on these documents. Maintain a separate file for all the medical reports following your disability.
- Don’t forget to visit your doctor at the required time. Collect all your medical records such as lab test reports and doctor’s prescriptions.
- Ask your doctor to mention the reason for your disability. He can put light on your physical and mental impairment which has led you as disabled. He should also mention the scope for treatment, expected recovery, detailed medication, and the term of disease.
- Education Qualification and work experience- Keep documents like education qualification, special skills, and work experience handy. This will help the SSA to understand your capability to cope for a new role in a different organization.
- Dependents- the diseased need to declare the number of dependents on him. The SSA office will determine the effect of the loss of job of the applicant on the dependents.
- They might also reach out to the diseased family and friends to understand the effect of the disability. They will also find out how the claimant performs their daily tasks.
Process Of Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits
If you find the process of applying for a disability benefit demanding, then talk to an experienced attorney at Chermol & Fishman LLC. We are addressing hundreds of disability cases each year.
Take your time to heal while our experts take up your case to help you proceed with your disability application. We have successfully helped a wide range of clients with our expertise.
What makes Chermol & Fishman LLC stand apart is our excellent legal practice and expertise in Social Security Disability for decades.