The Social Security Administration (SSA) plays a significant role in helping disabled people lead more normal lives. Thanks to this federal agency, many critically disabled individuals can get the compensation they need and deserve. Moreover, some family members of the disabled may also be eligible to receive benefits.
- The fact of the matter is that you never know when or if you will become disabled. A disability could result from a severe accident. Or, disability could occur as the result of a sudden or lengthy illness. You just cannot predict when a disability might occur.
- Fortunately, the SSA provides regular, monthly benefits for many people suffering with disabling conditions. If you need compensation to help you live and thrive, you may be eligible to receive social security disability benefits.
- Simply contact a reliable Social Security attorney San Antonio to find out. Your lawyer will help in executing the complicated application process as efficiently and effectively as possible.
SSDI & SSI – Two Major Benefits Programs
The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays social security benefits through two different programs. One is Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), and another is Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Both programs help disabled people by providing monetary aid that is issued on a regular basis. These payments allow the disabled to make up for medical expenses, lost work wages, and other expected and unexpected living costs.
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
The SSA helps disabled individuals by providing monetary benefits through the program of SSDI, which is delivered based on a number of critical factors. All disability beneficiaries receive SSDI benefits until they recover and return to normal work. Some recipients, however, may receive benefits for their lifetimes. In order to receive benefits, an applicant must prove a total disability that is severe and lasting. Significant medical and work documentation and information are required. A Disability Attorney San Antonio expert can help streamline this process.
Qualifying for Social Security Disability in San Antonio
- If you want to pursue SSDI benefits, you must first have paid into social security taxes over the course of your work history. The SSA will review your work history and assign you work credits. You can receive up to four work credits per year.
- The number of work credits varies depending on your working tenure and the time at which you became disabled. If you are younger, you typically require fewer work credits to qualify. It is important you consult a lawyer to understand your best chance of getting approved for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
You and your lawyer must consider the following when applying for SSDI
- During the period you are disabled and unable to work, you can receive SSDI. However, if you are still able to work to a substantial degree, the SSA will not provide you with benefits. You will have to earn under a certain monthly amount to receive and to continue to receive, benefits.
- You will not be able to get any benefits unless you are able to provide definite proof of your debilitating condition. Make sure to ask your doctor to provide all required medical documentation as records. You must meet all the defined criteria of ‘total disability’ guidelines in order to qualify for monthly benefits.
- Before you claim SSDI, ensure that you are unable to engage in any work. The SSA will examine your medical documents in detail and check your work history to determine whether you have specific skills to perform different types of work. Even if you are disabled, you may still be able to work in some capacity.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
SSI is slightly different than SSDI. The SSA administrators will keep a close eye on each disabled person’s financial situations and conditions when evaluating SSI applicants. Disabled people with low income and limited resources may qualify for both SSI and SSDI.
By contacting an attorney, you can quickly learn the complete details of Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Your income should be minimal and your total assets should have a relatively low value.
Before applying for SSI, consider the eligibility criteria:
- SSI is provided to blind people, people who are over 65-years old, and people who are disabled. Besides showing medical reports to prove your disability, you need documents that show your monthly salary, your assets, and other financial factors relevant to your claim.
Your attorney can inform you of any additional paperwork required
- In accordance with the SSA’s definition of disability, you must prove that you have a total disability. This type of condition is defined as one that will last for at least 12 months, is expected to last for 12 months, or is expected to lead to death. If you can prove you meet this definition of disability, and cannot work substantially, you must then prove your income and assets.
- Various streams of income will be considered. Your assets are also evaluated, but your residential property is not taken into account.
Reasons to Apply for Social Security Disability (SSD) Benefits in San Antonio
- Many situations can lead to you becoming physically or mentally disabled. This can stop you from returning to your healthy life for many years. In some cases, disability is permanent. Thus, it is best that you apply and file your claim for social security benefits as soon as you become disabled. The SSA could be your lifeline if you’re suffering from a disabling condition.
- Remember, you may also be struggling with medical expenses. Your family may depend on you. You may have no income whatsoever. You may be dealing with emotional and psychological issues as well. If your condition is affecting others, and not just yourself, you should definitely apply for SSD benefits.
Steps in Applying for Social Security Disability (SSD) Benefits in San Antonio
- Contact an experienced SSD Attorney San Antonio residents use and trust. To gain a comprehensive understanding of the process, you should consult freely with your attorney. Your disability lawyer can explain every step needed to apply for social security disability benefits.
- Without wasting any time and effort, you can file your claim and pursue social security disability benefits efficiently. With reputable attorneys, you can minimize the common mistakes and pitfalls that other claimants encounter.
- Before you visit your Social security office San Antonio location, make sure you know the details. Consult a proficient lawyer about social security disability benefits first. If you are not in a condition to visit, you can still get in touch through phone.
Your attorney will ensure that you do the following:
- Complete every section of the application correctly and fully. You will have to provide required information, such as your name, address, social security number, and more. Be sure to save the application number after correctly filing your claim.
- Maintain other sources of the same information. If you appeal a denial, the SSA may ask you to provide all that information during the hearing in court. You should not hesitate to contact a Social Security Disability Lawyer San Antonio.
- Once you complete the necessary procedures, you may be able to submit your application online instantly. However, do remember to keep a copy of all files by printing them out for security.
- Remember, disability can be difficult for anyone. It can devastate an otherwise normal, healthy and happy life. It can irreparably change living situations for spouses and children.
This is why you should contact a Social Security Disability Attorney San Antonio residents have come to trust. By following all the guidelines and effective methods, your disability lawyer can help you get what you need.